Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Return to The Big Screen

Over Christmas break last semester, my room was broken into and my 23" Apple Cinema Display was stolen along with my roommate, Kent's, Nintendo wii, a DVD player, a Luna iPod speaker system, and a sublime poster. The entirety of my second semester and up until about a week ago, I was using the 15" screen on my MacBook Pro, most of the time propped up on my lap with an iLap notebook stand. This allowed me to relax and sit back in my chair while surfing around and reading blogs, but was a big switch from the 23". With so much less screen real estate, features like Leopard's spaces can really be fully utilized, but at the same time it's nice to be able to visually see more items at a time which can only be accomplished with a larger screen with a higher resolution.



I just got a new 23" ACD just like my previous one, and I found that I actually have come to enjoy the MacBook Pro's screen, not for its size, but for its ability to be in my lap (I know, big surprise that a laptop can go in your lap, but bear with me.) With the 23", I find myself leaning forward in my chair which can get very uncomfortable for my back after a day of leaning over the computers I repair at work. On top of the back issue, my arms have much less support as well because they're unable to rest while I'm going from the keyboard to the mouse and back - an issue non existent on a notebook with the keyboard and trackpad so close together. This has led me to two conclusions. First, a corner desk (which I used from my 6th grade year until just last year before going to college) offers much more arm support. A straight desk can work if the keyboard tray and arms on the chair are both at the exact same height, but otherwise my arms tend to get tired quickly. Second, a notebook with a small barrier or stand between you and the computer makes for a much more comfortable way to use the computer for extended periods of time.

I have also just begun using a swiss gear lap cooler with two USB-powered fans because I've loaned my dad my iLap to see if he agrees on the increased comfort of using a notebook instead of a desk system. I'll post a more detailed comparison between the two laptop cooling solutions when I've had more opportunity to compare them.

As somebody who is on my computer for hours upon hours each day, it is important to find a comfortable and supportive position to use these machines. If you have found a more comfortable position to use your computer, post in the comments.

P.S. After a full month of getting settled in, hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this blog on a more regular basis. I have a list of ideas to write about, and now that I'm fully moved in and have a regular job schedule, I should be able to find time to devote to this blog again!

No comments: