Tuesday, June 10, 2008

TechTelic Tip: Quicktime Keyboard Shortcuts


I read a good dozen or more blogs per day, so I have to use an RSS reader such as google reader to keep track of what's news. With google reader, you can scan through new articles with the j and k keys, j to go forward one article, and k to back up to the previous one.

This evening I was reading through an article in google reader while downloading a song in the background. When the song finished downloading, it automatically launched quicktime to play the song right as I was pressing the j key to go to the next article. The song started, but something wasn't quite right - it was playing in reverse!

I quickly discovered there are many other keys that can be used to control quicktime. On a quick side note, I do use quicktime pro, so some of these keys may only work if you have the upgrade.

k = pause
l = play
j = play in reverse

you can also use keyboard controls for minor edits (definitely quicktime pro only)
i = set an in point
o = set an out point
right arrow = 1/4 second forward
left arrow = 1/4 second backwards

You can also use the command key + right or left arrows to play forwards or backwards respectively. That reminds me of one of my favorite things about macs; there are a lot of "right" ways to do things. Some may be easier to execute, others easier to remember, and others still that are just the most logical. Part of my work for apple included training individuals in iMovie and other applications, and one of the most common comments was something like, "I got it to work this way, but is that the right way to do it?" My response was always some variant of that it may not have been the most efficient way to get it done, but if it's done and it's the way you want it, you did it correctly. Alright, end of random mac fanboyism.

There are also many many other keyboard shortcuts that aren't fully spelled out in the finder, but there is documentation on apple's website for full finder keyboard shortcuts as well as lists for individual application's keyboard shortcuts. One last note, iTunes visualizers also have keyboard commands, check 'em out!


No comments: